Jason blows me away in this interview by sharing his approach to building his business. Jason clearly believes in niching and lives it with each of his businesses. Most web design firms or agencies tend to approach the business with an “I can do it all” mindset, but specializing in one niche can be powerful and rewarding. You will even hear how Jason charges more because he is delivering a full and powerful solution. Jason tells it like it is in this episode.
Jason’s Target Audience: All Star Cheer Programs – Jason’s team offers business development, web sites and mobile applications for this slice of after-school programs.
Jason and his team also operate in other niches within the after-school market like dance and martial arts. Jason has a background in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and grew from a student of the art to a martial arts school owner.
Eventually, he saw the opportunity to teach and train other schools how to have the same success he was having in his school.
“Some of the really big differentiators have NOTHING to do with what you're selling.” ~ Jason Silverman
Jason’s early success in training and developing other martial arts school owners showed him how to open the doors in other niches. Although he will be the first to tell you he and his team were not an overnight success – far from it – through experience, they have learned which niches to specialize in and which to pass on.
He says one of the keys to his success in various niches, has been to educate them on why he exists and why it’s good for them that he does exist. He also spends a good amount of time doing his homework on the industry, and giving away free solutions. He also gets to know the needs, wants and desires of the community – as well as the people in that particular community. Because of the close ties he develops with everyone he works with, he considers his clients to be family members and truly takes pride in helping them achieve their success.
In this episode, here’s what we’ll cover:
- Why providing a ridiculous experience to your clients makes the difference between a mediocre and an awesome business.
- Why you can better track your success in niches rather than broad markets.
- Is there another way to generate business if you branch out to focus on a new or different market? Yes and Jason tells you the smart way to do it.
- Why it’s not that hard to quickly become a rock star in any niche, he spills the beans on the one key thing you must do.
- How Jason and his team charged more by offering a complete and powerful solution (not just a website) – their strategy and how you can apply it to your business.
- Why Jason confidently believes you can’t be a jack of all trades.
- You can work with anyone in any industry – but should you? Why niching has made him both happy and prosperous.
- What Jason and his team do for each of their clients to acknowledge them and the referrals it always generates: it’s something you can do too!
- Why Jason provides his clients with tools AND teaches them how to use those tools.
“The extra mile is NEVER EVER crowded.” ~ Jason Silverman TWEET THIS
Practical & Actionable:
If Jason were to start over today and would narrow down his services, how would he do so without limiting himself? What would he do to assure his success?
1. Jason says to “…really think about who your ideal market is – not your current, but your ideal? Is there a particular group of people that you’ve worked with in the past that you just loved and you were really good at working with? What’s their demographic? What’s their psychographic? Who are these people and if you liked them, would you like people just like them?”
2. Stop worrying about failure and just embrace it. Fear is just false evidence appearing real so you can’t worry. Are you going to fall down and fail? Yes. If you’re going to fail, do it quickly. The more often you can fail, the more you’re putting yourself out there. You’re never going to hit the perfect niche the first time. But continue to fail and fail quickly and fail often. Until you don’t.
3. Focus on a niche. Your life will be so much easier when you’re focused on a niche – as opposed to the shotgun approach. Jason says he would “…way rather go deep than wide.”
RESOURCES AND LINKS MENTIONED IN THIS SESSION INCLUDE:
Do you have questions about today’s episode!?!
Did you know that you can apply to chat with me by phone? This is a limited time offer to help anyone that is serious about refining their business as well as developing a clear & compelling strategy that will drive them forward. Complete the questions and our team will follow up with you to schedule time for your “Business Breakthrough Session”. These are limited to 30 minutes, completely free and oh, so valuable. (Hint: these are similar to the conversations I had with Jason to help him fine tune and launch his lifestyle business.) Apply Now!
A QUICK FAVOR
And lastly, please leave a rating and review for the Leaders in the Trenches on iTunes (or Stitcher) – it will help us in many ways, but it also inspires us to keep doing what we are doing here. Thank you in advance!
The transcript will be available shortly – thank you!