When you decide to step up and stand out in your marketplace, you typically are met with resistance. However, here is a simple breakdown of standing out with best-selling author, Dorie Clark. Dorie is a writer, speaker, consultant and professor for the Duke University Business School. We talk about top line strategies and dive deep into Twitter as a powerful platform to establish more credibility and authority in your market.
Target Audience: Dorie writes business books, her latest one being Stand Out . She also teaches, speaks, and consults. Her work is focused on helping talented professionals figure out how to get their best ideas heard and their true talents recognized whether inside the company or in their field.
How do we make a podcast stand out??
In a world saturated with podcasts, Youtube videos and Social Media, how does one stand out?
- Choose your Niche Strategy:
- Hone in an area and go deep. An example would be “how to put on webinars.” Own whatever it is you niche on and max out on it.
- Conduct original research:
- Choose your curation of guests very wisely. If you uncover smart data with the guests you bring on, your audience will identify you as an expert.
How do you use social media to become the thought leader in your space?
“Acting as if…”
Utilize Social Media to talk about something that can be perceived as proof to people that you are an expert. Blogging for instance gives people a window into who you are all about depending upon the quality of your ideas. It makes people think they know you.
What about the sheer overwhelm over Social Media?
Choose one. This will be dependent on your business. If visualsa re important in your business, then use instagram. In any case, it is far better to go where the people are. There is no need to chase the next new thing! Where are your ideal clients?
In general, if you’re looking to reach a mass audience, use Facebook or Instagram. Each platform has it’s advantages so choose wisely. All platforms can be used in a way to create warm leads or keep a relationship alive after you’ve met them in person and keep the conversation going.
- How to stand out in your field
- How to choose the right platform for you
- Keeping relationships alive through Social Media
- Why you DON’T need to chase the next new platform
- Identifying where your ideal clients are.
Practical and Actionable:
- What would be the first thing someone would do using social media?
- Hone in on what you want to be known for
Set up your list of people. You want to follow and monitor those regularly so part of what you broadcast is curated with your comments or input. What you provide determines your presence.
Recommended by Dorie!
Meet Edgar- Evergreen content that has staying power and it functions as a VAULT. If you have a backlog, this gives you a library- so old posts get attention too. This is a great way to recycle content especially if it’s good and relevant.
Resources and Links
- Dorie Clark’s Official Website
- Free 42 Page Self Assessment Workbook to develop your breakthrough idea and spread the word about it
- Grab Dorie’s latest book: Stand Out
- Register for a call with Gene to get clear on YOUR next steps
- Free tools on being a Market Leader
- Leave a review in iTunes!
Do you have questions about today’s episode!?
Did you know that you can apply to chat with me by phone? This is a limited time offer to help anyone that is serious about refining their business as well as developing a clear & compelling strategy that will drive them forward. Complete the questions and our team will follow up with you to schedule time for your “Business Breakthrough Session”. These are limited to 30 minutes, completely free and oh, so valuable. Apply Now!
A QUICK FAVOR
And lastly, please leave a rating and review for the Leaders in the Trenches on iTunes (or Stitcher) – it will help us in many ways, but it also inspires us to keep doing what we are doing here. Thank you in advance!