Don't miss an episode of the Leaders in the Trenches Podcast. Subscribe now.
Our guest today is Ryan Gill, the founder of CULT. There is a “new” age of advertising and it means LESS advertising. On this episode, we talk about creating a brand that people buy into – not buy from. Find out why cultivating loyalty is what is helping businesses today thrive instead of fail. Also, we dive into why working from the inside out by getting our staff inspired is also one of the key elements in making Brands REMARKABLE.
Target Audience: Ryan, the founder and chair director of the company CULT, helps Brands architecture the customer journey. The aim is to drive their consumers from awareness past decision and on to loyalty. Loyalty is the main goal and the most powerful place to invest time and money.
The CULT Philosophy
Cult is currently in their 5th year of business, still standing firm in their foundational philosophy: creating BRANDS that people buy INTO – not buy FROM. It is about creating loyalty rather than superficial advertising.
Focus on Acquisition NOT Advertising
“Cult” brands are very self aware. The mindset they adopt in working with Ryan’s company is that over- reliance on advertising is not something they have to do. While advertising is executed on some level, they don’t rely on it.
The Courage it Takes to Start a Business
FIX: Break the Addiction that’s Killing Brands outlines the addiction to advertising that brands have and why over-advertising is SUCH a FALSE positive. This book serves as a guide for marketers who are tired of wasting time, energy and money on tactics that just don’t work. The book aims to help brands incrementally decrease their advertising strategies, and to instead refocus their energy, time and money on six specific areas to attract cult-like followers.
Ryan’s Experience with the Trap of Success
Ryan reveals his own personal experience with a digital agency he ran for 12 years. It was a tough failure not because of the money he lost. He admits that although it was a great company, it did not truly know how to make money. Eventually, he had to muster the courage to break out of complacency. This was difficult because he was afraid to admit things were not working. He had to ask himself: is there a better way?
You’ve got to have ONE remarkable thing that is woven into the culture. If you can break free of complacency, you can achieve this! Ask yourself: What is not compromised ever? In identifying what that is- that is what perseveres through time. It is the most profound aspect of being part of a REMARKABLE company.
An Inspired Staff
If you can’t inspire your staff- you can’t have cult- like followers. Employees must love the company first. Do people love working there? Companies don’t have staying power anymore, but cult brands do! We’ve got to work from the inside out.
In this episode we’ll cover:
- The “new” age of advertising
- Why loyalty is more important that advertising
- How Ryan broke free of his own complacency
- Creating a culture of remarkability
- Why you’ve got to cultivate an inspired staff
Practical and Actionable:
Get out there and start something. Jump into something that will inspire you and even scare you! Keep things simple and honest.
Resources and Links
- Ryan on Twitter
- Contact Ryan: Ryan@cultideas.com
- FIX: Break The Addictions That Are Killing Brands
- The Trap of Success: available on October 10th!
- Results Roadmap Session with GENE
- Get the first 2 chapter of The Trap of Success
- Best of Leaders in the Trenches Podcast Episodes
- Grab your checklist of essential things to do before & after your Speaking Gigs!
- Grab your free training video and get more speaking gigs HERE
- Start the Challenge: “Authority Gap” – Sign up to receive 5 daily videos that will guide you to bridging “the Authority Gap.” During the challenge, you will get a daily exercise showing a counter-intuitive way to go from “invisible” to a recognized authority.
- Be the AUTHORITY in your target market and SHOW UP DIFFERENTLY
- Share the LOVE and TWEET about this episode.
How is your business going…would you like to talk about it?
I love my audience of listeners. I really do. I would love to help you in some way. I started doing calls with listeners and realized that it was a great way to understand you.
Okay, then I formalized the process to offer a Results Roadmap… it is a private one-on-one call with me about your business. I want to help you see your roadmap with more clarity and confidence. Find out more about the Results Roadmap (it takes you to my personal website). This is not a sales pitch. Let me serve you.
A QUICK FAVOR
And lastly, please leave a rating and review for the Leaders in the Trenches on iTunes (or Stitcher) – it will help us in many ways, but it also inspires us to keep doing what we are doing here. Thank you in advance!