Don't miss an episode of the Leaders in the Trenches Podcast. Subscribe now.
Speaking is an unfair advantage. You are face-to-face with your audience. You have a chance to connect like no other form of marketing. When you are in the room with a great speaker, you feel it in your bones. Tamsen Webster is our guest today. She is amazing at helping speakers find “the Red Thread.” If you don’t know what that is, you really must listen to this show.
Target Audience: Tamsen runs a company called Strategic Speaking. She helps businesses and entrepreneurs find the “Red Thread” the through line of their products or service. In other words, she helps them to find their real value in their proposition.
Bringing Who We are to the Stage
We each have a unique way of how we make sense of the world. And we can all find that thing that really sets us each apart. It’s hard but it is always there, even though we are often blind to our own gifts.
The audience needs to feel *it* from you. The excitement your connection to your message and the passion you have for it. You have to believe what you say to your very core. Tamsen’s expert advice is to talk about the things you want to talk about and not about the things you think you “should” talk about.
So Many Bad Decisions Are Made in the Name of Should
We start out thinking, what should we talk about? This is a MEGA DON’T. Why? Because it automatically implies external judgement of your intent and motivation. Should is dangerous.
The only thing that you “should” Speak about is that one thing you cannot NOT speak about.
Trial & Error
Many beginner speakers don’t own what they speak about. They give external credit too often (obviously, always give credit where it is due).
However, you as a beginning speaker could integrate what you know and have the courage to say- this is how I SEE IT. You must be willing to do that if you want to be a Speaker.
Back Up Your Claims
Create a “Burden of Proof” around your ideas. That means: doing the work of finding all the research that supports your idea. Commission new research that backs up what you are trying to do. It must survive the “burden of proof.”
Narrowing Your Niche (there it is again!)
The narrower you focus the audience you are trying to reach and the message to them, the stronger and the more broadly it will travel. Focus on who you are really FOR and WHO the message is really for.
The clarity you get from that level of focus enables that message and the action you are looking for to cut through all the other crap that is out there.
Practical and Actionable
Find your Red Thread.com – here’s the worksheet to download.
Here’s Tamsen’s Question to answer before you fill out the worksheet: WHO are you for and WHO is this for?
Determine the way people you serve see the world. Fill out the blanks here:
I am for (category of people) who want X value Y but struggle with Z. What is the “thing” that they really struggle with? Hint: It could be a result of the first 2.
In this episode we’ll cover:
- Bring who you authentically are to the STAGE
- Why the word “SHOULD” is dangerous & lethal!
- Why you’ve got to talk about what truly moves you to your core
- Why narrowing your niche broadens your reach
- Creating a burden of proof around your ideas
- Tamsen’s Official Website
- Get your Red Thread Worksheet HERE
- Get your copy of The Trap of Success & Join the BookClub
- Results Roadmap Session with GENE
- Best of Leaders in the Trenches Podcast Episodes
- Grab your checklist of essential things to do before & after your Speaking Gigs!
- Grab your free training video and get more speaking gigs HERE
- Start the Challenge: “Authority Gap” – Sign up to receive 5 daily videos that will guide you to bridging “the Authority Gap.” During the challenge, you will get a daily exercise showing a counter-intuitive way to go from “invisible” to a recognized authority.
- Be the AUTHORITY in your target market and SHOW UP DIFFERENTLY
- Share the LOVE and TWEET about this episode.
How is your business going…would you like to talk about it?
I love my audience of listeners. I really do. I would love to help you in some way. I started doing calls with listeners and realized that it was a great way to understand you.
Okay, then I formalized the process to offer a Results Roadmap… it is a private one-on-one call with me about your business. I want to help you see your roadmap with more clarity and confidence. Find out more about the Results Roadmap (it takes you to my personal website). This is not a sales pitch. Let me serve you.
A QUICK FAVOR
And lastly, please leave a rating and review for the Leaders in the Trenches on iTunes (or Stitcher) – it will help us in many ways, but it also inspires us to keep doing what we are doing here. Thank you in advance!