Kimanzi Constable started out with a ton of success by selling 80,000 books using social media and transforming his own life in the process. To get there, he began with a wide and broad approach, but quickly realized he had to narrow and be specific to create a powerful business that really makes an impact for his clients. Kimanzi had to face his fears of limiting his business so that he could find a new level of success.
Kimanzi’s Target Audience (now): the family man, with a day job, but still longs to live life by his own design. He wants to create a freedom based, location independent online business, starting on the side and growing it as big as his heart’s desire.
“As I began to focus my business, one word I could not get out of my head is 'freedom'” ~ Kimanzi Constable
Kimanzi built up the public speaking side of his business, in addition to some coaching and products. Kimanzi even gave us a view of his income split before the new target audience:
- Speaking $500 per month (average)
- Products $1000 per month (average)
- Coaching $1500 – $2000 per month
Kimanzi shares with us about his frustration and desire to build his location independent business. He needed to look at his business with new eyes or in other words with a new perspective. I remember having a chat with him about his coaching business. He was happy to have clients, but wanted more. Our conversation led him to a new strategy. Kimanzi has transformed his business to 3-4 times an increase in coaching revenue. This new change has allowed him to move with his family to Hawaii.
In this episode, here’s what we’ll cover:
- What happened to his 5,400 subscriber list when he did focus his business (the answer might surprise you)
- Kimanzi shares why his coaching revenue increased after making it clear about his audience
- One key that Kimanzi talks about is brilliant…(BTW, remember he is a writer)…write your content for ONE person, not for a group.
- Now he has “measurable results” in the work he does…we are all striving to make a difference with our work, our content and even in our marketing. Knowing your audience allows you to serve them better.
- In 2014, Kimanzi is on a tear with one over arching thought “Less is More”…this is something we can all learn (even me).
- Kimanzi’s fears were many and he shares them with us in the interview. He found out the fears he had to face…check out the interview to hear more.
- Writing for your “avatar” is all about writing for one single person.
- Discover what “opportunity-itis” is and why it is important to you.
- How he narrowed down his business to understand his audience…this is what allowed him to reach a new level of success.
“Less is more.” ~ Kimanzi Constable
Practical & Actionable:
Once Kimanzi decide to “narrow” your business…he did keyword searches to find a single word that keep coming up. That word was “freedom”. Freedom is a big part of why Kimanzi does what he does now.
1. Begin with Research. Find where my audience is at online.
2. Talk to others about niching to help you figure it out. (You can even connect with me if you are wondering how to focus your business.)
3. Discover the “pain points” that they have. This is a big one for you to apply to your search.
RESOURSES AND LINKS MENTIONED IN THIS SESSION INCLUDE:
- Kimanzi Consitable’s Blog and Coaching website
- Kimanzi’s Book “Are you LIVING or existing?“
- Business In Blue Jeans: How To Have A Successful Business On Your Own Terms, In Your Own Style
To give Kimanzi a shout out on Twitter for being on the show, follow him and send him a message: @KimanziC (hey, use #LITT to let me know you guys connected).
Do you have questions about today’s episode!?!
Did you know that you can apply to chat with me by phone? This is a limited time offer to help anyone that is serious about refining their business as well as developing a clear & compelling strategy that will drive them forward. Complete the questions and our team will follow up with you to schedule time for your “Business Breakthrough Session”. These are limited to 30 minutes, completely free and oh, so valuable. (Hint: these are similar to the conversations I had with Kimanzi to help him fine tune and launch his lifestyle business.) Apply Now!
A QUICK FAVOR
And lastly, please leave a rating and review for the Leaders in the Trenches on iTunes (or Stitcher) – it will help us in many ways, but it also inspires us to keep doing what we are doing here. Thank you in advance!
The transcript will be available shortly – thank you!
Click Here to Subscribe via RSS (non-iTunes feed)