In this episode of the Leaders in the Trenches Podcast, I’m pumped to welcome a great friend of mine, Jason Swenk to the show! We are going to explore the journey he had in creating his six figure consulting business in about 3 months (that’s on-the-side to his full-time job). Well…actually he started before that 3 month period, but once he decided to really focus on Digital Agencies he began to make huge strides to success.
Jason has a very interesting line of business that stemmed from a handful of conversations with me. Jason expressed his frustration to me one day with his blog. (He couldn’t even call it a business at that time). He wondered why he rarely got subscribers on his list, and his bounce rate and time on site were dismal at best. I asked Jason a few questions about his business that got the wheels turning and eventually fine-tuned his website to focus on his target market. Pay attention to Jason’s struggles before narrowing his business, the fears he faced, and the success that he has enjoyed to see if you can relate to his story.
Target Audience: Digital Agencies (you know websites, online media buying, e-commerce, etc. companies)
Profitable Niche: Digital Agencies under $2m in revenue that are looking to move up
Struggles Before Finding Target Audience: Low to no subscribers, low engagement on website, bounce rate 60% and average time on website under 2 seconds, no income (or ideas to offer a product or service)
“I got really laser focused on who my audience was and my traffic sky rocketed.” ~ Jason Swenk
Tweet this: Listen to @jswenk share his story of 3 months to 6 figures. Your host is @genehammett
Success AFTER Focusing:
- Increased engagement was the first sign (comments on website, emails of appreciation)
- Decreased bounce rate on website dropped from 60% to 2%
- Average time on site increased from 2 seconds to over 6 minutes
- Traffic on websites (number of pages) increased by 7 times (a 700% increase!)
- Offered free consultations to subscribers that resulted in monthly consulting fees
- Created passive income with his first online product “Agency Playbook” which is 40 individual lessons that Digital Agencies under $2m need to know.
“One key to success was I just asked my audience 'what was their biggest challenge?'” ~ Jason Swenk
Check out free gift that relates to his quote (It is the the very next step you must take to become a market leader).
Other Topics from this Episode:
- How Jason and I know each other (it started with social media).
- Jason’s success in niching started with his own digital agency (Solar Velocity) when he was the #1 partner for a small slice in the CMS market.
- Their niche is what is commonly referred to as a “horizontal niche” meaning it spans across industries. (Side note: A “vertical niche” is one that focuses on an industry e.g., Digital Agency or Lawyers).
- We discuss something called “stacking success” which refers to having a series of clients/projects that are related so that it builds up your expertise in that one area. This is how you become an authority and a trusted advisor.
- We discussed one mistake that is often made which is the “Jack of all Trades” mindset where they believe they can offer tons of services across any industry there is. It is what MOST agencies do and this is something I have been talking out against for nearly 3 years.
- Just like the success Jason has had with his business and our joint venture together that is focused on a specific industry (and a specific problem they want to address), digital agencies could seriously benefit from a clear focus on a segment of market.
- Taking the BROAD approach to marketing just is NOT working any more (if it ever did). You have to speak directly to a single person’s issues so that they stand up and say, “that is me!…I want listen to more of that or I want to comment about it.”
Practical and Actionable:
Paraphrasing Jason’s suggestion: To find your target audience look into your passions and what you really know well. You can also consider past clients that you enjoyed working with (and made money from).
Bonus: Jason’s breakdown of “No Budget Buster” which is his technique to get to the real budget that the client has for a project, but they are hesitant to share with you. If you ever want to pull a budget out of a prospect this is an excellent exchange that I have seen work every time he used it. It makes me laugh now just thinking about how easily it works. Listen in to hear Jason tell you exactly how to do this.
RESOURCES AND LINKS MENTIONED IN THIS SESSION INCLUDE:
- Jason Swenk (Jason’s blog and business)
- Agency Playbook (Jason’s online product)
- Jason’s Podcast is “The Smart Agency Masterclass” (Launching in April 2014)
- Reinvent BizDev (our JV for Digital Agencies that want to improve marketing and sales)
- Core Elevation (my coaching business where I help others find their niche)
- Small Business is NOT a Target Market
- Simon Sinek: How great leaders inspire action Video of Simon’s TED Talk
- Gary Vaynerchuk
- Pat Flynn from Smart Passive Income
- Tony Robbins
THANK YOU JASON, AND I’M SO PROUD OF YOU!
Like I said, Jason and I have been friends for several years now, and we talk almost daily about business (and other stuff). Jason is doing a fabulous job of taking our short conversations and executing on them to create products, offers, and free content that is driving his business using a niched approached. It is also a blast to work with Jason on our joint venture for Digital Agencies to reinvent their business development process.
I would say Jason’s biggest strength in this is ability to EXECUTE…he has an idea and just focuses on it until its done. He works quickly to make it happen and that is one major reason for his quick success.
Congrats Jason, and best of luck to you with your focus at JasonSwenk.com
To give Jason a shout out on Twitter @jswenk for being on the show, follow him and send him a message (hey, use #LITT to let me know you guys connected). Yo Tweet it out!
Do you have questions about today’s episode!?!
Did you know that you can apply to chat with me by phone? This is a limited time offer to help anyone that is serious about refining their business as well as developing a clear & compelling strategy that will drive them forward. Complete the questions and our team will follow up with you to schedule time for your “Business Breakthrough Session”. These are limited to 20 minutes, completely free and oh, so valuable. (Hint: these are similar to the conversations I had with Jason to help him fine tune and launch his 6 figure business in a few months.) Apply Now!
A QUICK FAVOR
And lastly, please leave a rating and review for the Leaders in the Trenches on iTunes (or Stitcher) – it will help us in many ways, but it also inspires us to keep doing what we are doing here. Thank you in advance!
The transcript will be available shortly – thank you!
Click Here to Subscribe via RSS (non-iTunes feed)